Graduate Research Assistant, PhD Student
Lee is a native of the Adirondack Park in upstate N.Y. whose passion for physics and mathematics led him to the University of Virginia. There he was a PhD student in the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering studying the conundrum that is brain injury. Using sophisticated tools including finite element models of the human head and constitutive models for brain tissue, Lee spent his time trying to answer fundamental questions in brain injury biomechanics. These included determining how mechanical forces translate to brain injury and what effects these forces have on the structure of brain tissue. Other research interests included developing biofidelic models of the lower extremity for use in the design of safety systems in armored vehicles.
Lee graduated from UVa in December 2017 after defending his PhD dissertation entitled “Development of Improved Metrics for Predicting Brain Strain in Diverse Impacts.”
- PhD, University of Virginia, Mechanical Engineering
- BA, Physics and Mathematics, State University of New York (SUNY) College at Geneseo
- Biomechanics of brain injury
- Biomechanics of lower extremity injury
- Constitutive modeling
- Human body finite element modeling
Awards & Affiliations
- Murray Mackay Young Researcher Award
- Margaret H. Hines Award
- Phi Beta Kappa
- American Physical Society (APS)
- High-Rate Mechanical Properties of Human Heel Pad for Simulation of a Blast Loading Condition, Proceedings, IRCOBI Conference on the Biomechanics of Impact, Berlin, Germany 2014.
- Lower Leg Characterization and Injury Mitigation. Proceedings, IRCOBI Conference on the Biomechanics of Impact, Berlin, Germany 2014.
- Optimization of Combat Boot Properties to Mitigate Underbody Blast Injuries to the Lower Extremity. Proceedings, Personal Armour Systems Symposium, Cambridge, UK.
- Region Specific Viscoelastic Properties of the Adult Rat Brain under Indentation following Traumatic Brain Injury. Proceedings IRCOBI Conference on the Biomechanics of Impact, Gothenburg, Sweden 2013.
- Running, Hiking, Skiing